1601 Sherman Avenue
Shapack Partners retained Eckenhoff Saunders to develop modifications to a mixed-use building located at 1601 Sherman Avenue in Downtown Evanston. More commonly known as the Fountain Building, it was initially built in 1948 by Maurice L. Rothschild & Co. for a new location for their department stores. The original building core along Sherman Avenue is being relocated to the northern edge of the structure to create open floor plans across the southern portion of the mid-rise. The building’s entrance is also being moved to the Orrington Avenue side, with two retail spaces being created on the ground floor.
The building’s exterior will also have its facade completely restored; this includes replacing all of the existing limestone facades. The building will have all of its windows replaced, some being enlarged along Sherman Avenue. The renovated structure will also receive a new top-floor amenity space, including a rooftop deck enclosed in a full-height fritted bird deterrent glass. Utilizing a new storefront, window wall, and a unitized curtain wall system, the project is slated to exceed baseline energy requirements for new office buildings.